Monday, April 9, 2012

Mother FINISHED!

This is a project I started 3 years ago and I've finally finished. Part of the delay was because I didn't plan everything out before hand. After I stitched it for awhile I had to start and think everything through to make sure I got it the way I wanted it. Then my sister stitched a similar design and gave to my mom for xmas one year. I got dishearten and put it away for a long time.

And to top all that off I wanted to do this in all kinds of different threads. Some were harder to work with than others. The tan is linen threads and I thought it was wonderful to work with; no problems. The red is silk/rayon and boy is that thread springy. That was a little hard to control but I love how it looks. The green is regular DMC cotton. I tried to use a perle cotton but it was too thick and you can't divide it. The blue is a variegated thread that I like but you have to think ahead of how you're going to stitch an area to make sure it looks right. The silver is metallic and it's awful to stitch with. Even using a thread tamer it's almost unbearable. The magenta is a light effect thread. It's not as bad as the metallic but I still had to use some beeswax to keep it under control.

The fabric is from silkweavers.com and it's Sundown 14ct Aida. It's done in 2x1 full stitches. There's one I want to do for Father but I've got so many other projects on my plate that I'm not making any guarantees that I'll have it done this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment